Saturday, October 3, 2009

Apples Apples All Around

(By Cari)
Around here, in the fall, there are apples everywhere. Trees are often left unpruned, unsprayed and uncared for. The tree doesn't seem to mind, and still produces a bounty, ripe for the picking. On a recent trip into our small town, I saw a sign "Free Apples". I pulled into the field and the owner came out to visit with me. Apologetically, he let me know that the trees hadn't been sprayed with any chemicals. All the better I said, and he warned me that there might be worms. A thrifty gal can't be too concerned about insects. That day I came home with 50 pounds of apples (free!), and in that week my preteen daughter and I processed 11 quarts of apple sauce, 6 quarts of apple pie filling, and a wealth for my compost.
After that day I started realizing that there really are apples growing everywhere; along a popular road, in my neighbors backyard, on the land where I attended a recent women's retreat. Quite often people will be thrilled for you to take them, it means they don't have to pick up mower-clogging apples. Most people don't like to see food go to waste, either.
Today, after another picking at a neighbors house, a friend and I put up 6 quarts of apple sauce and 4 pints of apple butter. By using an old fashioned food mill, I get the most bang for my buck. Simply quarter the apples, cut out any bad spots and the seedy area, and simmer in a large pot, adding water as necessary. Also, I add 1/2 teaspoon citric acid per cup of fruit to keep the sauce as golden as possible and prevent spoilage. Lemon juice at 1 tablespoon per quart jar also serves the same purpose.
Food Mills may be purchased off of eBay, Craigslist, some grocery stores, or Amazon. You can find one for as cheap as 20 dollars new, or even cheaper used. Ask around if anyone has one you can borrow - you'll probably end up having it gifted to you. If you have a potato ricer, these work too. They are slower, but just as effective. Food Mills and Ricers do not require electricity, and are pretty safe for even kids to use.
Canning the apple sauce is easy. Fill to within 1/4 inch of the top, wipe any spilled applesauce off the top to get it VERY clean, seat the lid and tighten the ring around them. Put them in the canner and keep them covered with at least 1 inch of water and bring to a rolling boil.
Processing Time (this is assuming the sauce is packed while still VERY hot - almost boiling)
Pints or Quarts 15 min (OR 25 min for above 6,000 feet)

No comments:

Post a Comment