Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Not A Christmas Crafter?

(Contributed by Nicole, Majenica, and Rachel)

If for whatever reason a homemade crafty Christmas isn't for you or perhaps you lack the time, your family would rebel, or you're like me and can't craft your way out of a paper bag. That's OK. There's still a lot of ways to have a sensible Christmas.


While the plate of baked goods is popular, some people might feel they are drowning in sugar. If you want to give a food gift consider a loaf of bread, a homemade drink mix, or even a small fruit basket made from a dollar store basket and fruit that's on sale.
You can also take a look at your gift list and see if anyone can be cut without hurt feelings.

Last Christmas our closest friends decided that gifts were for children only. We all still got together, had a nice potluck dinner, and had a great time celebrating but the adults went without gifts.

Think practical. While gift cards may seem impersonal, they can be a big help to people. College students love this kind of practical gift. It allows them to get what they need, without having to spend out of pocket. Expectant parents, those without jobs, or people in a tight living situation also love these types of gifts.
Another idea is to do either family or childrens photos at a relatively cheap photo shop, such as Wal-Mart. You can get a package for under $10, then buy $1 frames at a dollar store. These make long lasting gifts.

One contributor stated, "I makes "non-gift" arrangements. I agree that I won't buy them a gift and they don't have to buy me one. Sometimes I'll ask for something that I know is dirt cheap or that they also want to get rid of. Outgrown kids clothes and toys, paperback novels that they are done with or just unconventional stuff. My MIL gave me a flat of canned lima beans last Christmas. I had a can at her house and loved them, and couldn't find them in my state. Voila - when she drove down, she brought me a dozen cans."

Another thing to consider is gently used items. Clothes, books, toys, and sometimes other items are often much less expensive, but still in great condition at thrift or consignment stores, garage sales, or on Craigslist. I've seen new toys and kitchen appliances still in the box, clothes with tags still on them, and books that look as if they've never been opened.

Just remember that Christmas is about much more than the gifts you give or get, so let yourself re think your gift buying habits if it's what you want or need.

1 comment: